Does CBD Oil Go Bad Over Time?
Cannabidiol oil, or CBD oil, is an extract of the powerful and beneficial compounds found in the cannabis plant. Isolated from the main psychoactive ingredient known as tetrahydrocannabinol (or THC), CBD oil provides the plant’s many health benefits without the oft-associated “high.”
Just like similar essential oils and supplements, however, CBD oil does indeed have a shelf life, and over enough time, CBD oil can go bad and be unsafe to use. Here are some helpful tips and information that can help you store your CBD oil safely for future use.
Does CBD Have An Expiration Date?
CBD oil has many different qualities, but even the highest-quality CBD oil eventually loses its effectiveness. CBD oil’s average shelf life is between 6 to 24 months. What is the reason for the wide average, you might be asking? There are a few variables that influence the longevity of a health supplement:
- Has it been stored in a low-light, room-temperature environment?
- Are there added flavorings?
- How was the CBD oil extract created?
High-quality CBD oil produced through CO2 extraction and with no flavorings or additives is your best bet for a long-lasting supplement.
Can Expired CBD Oil Make You Sick?
Unfortunately, as with all health supplements, using expired CBD oil can be detrimental to your health. There aren’t any well-known side effects from using old CBD oil. But there will be some telltale signs that you’ve got a bottle of bad oil, and you’ll want to throw the stuff away as soon as possible.
How Can You Tell If Your Oil Is Too Old to Use Safely?
- Pure CBD oil extract is often transparent and colorless. If the oil in your bottle has turned dark brown, it’s probably gone bad.
- CBD oil is made by adding CBD extract to a base oil, usually coconut oil or sometimes hemp seed oil. When the oil starts to run thin (i.e., more like water and less like oil), chances are high that it’s past its prime.
- Any discoloration on the bottle itself due to fogging or condensation means that the CBD oil has likely been stored improperly.
- CBD oil has an earthy and pleasant smell. Expect a skunky and bitter smell if the oil has exceeded its expiration date.
How to Extend the Shelf Life of CBD Oil
There are ways to make your CBD oil last a little longer in your cabinet at home.
- Purchase CBD Oil Only From a Reputable Vendor
- The quality of a CBD oil supplement can vary between vendors, even between reputable vendors. Utah Cannabis Co. is dedicated to providing only the highest-quality CBD oils, so we can guarantee a long shelf life for the products we sell.
- When used properly, our air-tight packaging also helps keep the oil from spoiling. When not in use, keep your CBD oil in a place free from direct sunlight and high temperatures.
- Know Your CBD Oil Extracts
- There are a few different types of CBD extracts, some of which expire faster than others. Full-spectrum CBD extract includes many of the different compounds present in cannabis (sometimes including THC) and is also the least-processed, making it more likely to degrade sooner.
- Broad-spectrum CBD extracts are similar but may pose a bit of difficulty when determining an expiration date. CBD isolates are theoretically the longest-lasting oils.
- Look for CO2-Extracted Oils
- The cleanest and highest-quality CBD extraction process is performed with carbon dioxide or CO2. Not only does this ensure the maximum concentrations of the health-boosting CBD chemical compounds, it leaves behind no toxic residues or “additives” that are often left behind in ethanol or alcohol-based extractions.
The quality and longevity of CBD oil also depends upon the quality of the hemp it is extracted from. Hemp (like sunflowers and alyssum plants) are known as hyperaccumulators. This means they have the ability to draw in almost any substance in its environment.
Unfortunately, this can include contaminants like heavy metals and pesticides, which can be passed into the final extracts. Again, only buy CBD oil from the most reputable vendors, and you’ll have a better chance of avoiding any problems with bad oil.
Buy the Highest-Quality CBD Oil at Utah Cannabis Company in Salt Lake City, Utah
Cannabis and its many byproducts have been used for thousands of years, and even now, we are continuing to discover its benefits. From promoting better daily health to boosting your body’s performance, discover how much better you can feel and function with CBD oil from Utah Cannabis Company. Buy online today, and let us know if you have any questions. We want to help you live the life you love!